M5Unit3 Science versus nature
Period5 Task Writing a formal letter
【Activities in class】
Skills building 1 changing or correcting a text
1. Through a game called “Chinese whisper”, let Ss learn when we are asked to pass information, we need to
v 1. correct grammatical errors and spelling mistakes
v 2. make changes to the information in the text
v 3. change the style or the tone
2. listen with the guide above
step 1 confirming information
1. Discuss about what GM food is before listening
What does GM food stand for?
v Genetically Modified food
skills building 2 conducting a discussion
1. How to ask for people’s opinions and introduce new ideas to the discussion
v e.g. What do you think? / Don’t you think so? /Do you agree? / Is that your opinion too?
v e.g. Another argument is that… / Don’t forget… / On the other hand, … /We can also… / But what about…?
Activity 2资*源%库 ziyuanku.com
step 2 collecting more information
Since we have learnt how to ask for opinions of others and introduce new ideas, let’s practise the different expressions by interviewing a scientist about GM food.
1. List the things about GM food.
2. Group work: You will be divided into groups of four and study the interview form on page 54 together. Tell what questions you may ask about each heading and add a sixth heading. Write down your questions and a possible heading in the form. Add more questions to the headings you suggest.
A. 1. Safety of GM food Do you think it is safe for people to have GM food?
2. Possible side effects Are there any side effects if people have GM food?
3. Taste compared with normal food
Does it taste the same as/nicer than natural food?
4. Cost Do you agree that GM food is more expensive than natural food?
5. Need for government control
Do you think the government should do something to ensure its safety? If so, what should be done?
6. Popularity for buyers
Will you or will you not buy the GM food?
Skills building 3:writing a formal letterZiyuanku.com
Often you wonder how to write a formal letter. You will learn that a formal letter often includes information such as an address, a date, the receiver’s name, job title and address, a formal greeting, a formal ending and the signature. You will also learn some useful phrases to start and end a formal letter.
1. Read the guidelines on page 56. Make sure you know the format of a formal letter and understand the useful phrases to start and end a letter.Ziyuanku.com
2. Read the letter on page 56 and label the parts of the letter.
3. After you labeled the parts of the letter, read the letter again and underline the phrases used to start and end the letter.
I am writing to make…
I urge you to seek…$来&源：ziyuanku.com
Writing a letter about GM food
In this part, you’re required to write a formal letter about GM food to your local supermarket based on the information gathered in Steps 1 and 2.
1. You will be divided into small groups and each of you should contribute to the writing of the letter. Read the two articles on GM food in Part A on page 57. Underline all the pros and cons and try to understand the meaning of the articles.
2. Write a formal letter . The letter should include four points in Part B. Then read your letters to the class.
v Please write a formal letter to Mr. Shen Jian, Head of Education Department of Jiangsu Province, telling him your students’ opinions on changing English scores into grades in Gaokao.
§ Are you for or against?
§ What are your reasons?
§ Notice the format and structure!
§ Be polite and persuasive!
2. 教师根据教辅资料布置Task 有关知识点练习作业（参见资源包知识点部分学案）